familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

I have recently accidentally discovered that my wife has made

Customer Question

I have recently accidentally discovered that my wife has made out a will leaving her entire estate to her children by her first marriage. No reference was made to me when this was drawn up nor have I been toild about it subsequently. My will leaves my entire estate to my wife.

Do I have grounds for divorce?
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

familylawexpert : Hello,
familylawexpert : My name is Magnus, and I am a family lawyer of many years. I can help you with your question.
JACUSTOMER-3h3ou4ar- :

Sorry, working at the moment. Free at about 3.30

familylawexpert : In England,there are two bases upon which a divorce can be obtained without waiting for st least two years separation: adultery and unreasonable behaviour. However, the threshold for unreasonable behaviour is very very low, and there it's almost certainly enough behaviour in even a happy marriage for an unreasonable behaviour petition.
familylawexpert : So, if you don't mind me saying this, the real question is whether you want a divorce at all. I can see that your wife's action would be upsetting, but have you tried discussing it with her? If the two of you alone is not enough, perhaps you could enlist the help of a marriage counsellor or mediator. At the end of the day, if you still want a divorce, there will always be sufficient grounds for a petition to be prepared.
Sorry - when I typed my original response it didn't show your short message about being busy with work until 3.30pm. By all means reply later this afternoon, and I'll reply as soon as I can. (I might be in a meeting until a little after that, but will get back you asap).