Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

Been going through a divorce for three years and my solicitor

Customer Question

Been going through a divorce for three years and my solicitor seems to think that my ex wife will get 75% of everything. If I was to buy a car or similar will she also be entitled to 75% of that too and if so why?
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 4 years ago.

My name is Mac. I will be able to help you with your question. It's not quite as simple as just talking about the car though, as I need to know get a feel for why your solicitor might be saying your ex will get 75% of the assets.

- when did you marry?
- if earlier than the above, when did you start living together?
- are there any children? (If so, how old?)
- what is the value of the house (and any mortgage)?
- what is the total value of the other assets you and she hold (a total value rather than individual values is fine)?
- what is her income (after tax)?
- what is your income (after tax)?
- do either of you have any pensions?

Sorry to ask for so much information, but I want to give you a full answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

married in 2004, started to live together mid 2002. We have two children aged five and seven. the house is worth £185000 with an outstanding mortgage of £130000, we have a flat worth £70000 with no mortgage. I reside in the flat while she stays at the house.

There is no other assets, her income is unknown and mine is around £50000, we both have pensions and I think hers is worth more. The money I make is mostly overtime and I have to work away from home to get what I get.

Her earning capacity (which may be higher than her actual earning at present) is relevant. Your lawyer will need to know that to have given you an overall view of outcome. If you have no idea what it might be (even ballpark?), can you describe what she does?