13262538

How much do I have to pay my ex wife for my 12 year old son.

Customer Question

How much do I have to pay my ex wife for my 12 year old son. I earn £500 a week. And we have a joint morrgage we pay around .£377 . I have left the family home at her request.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your son spend any nights with you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he spends 2 nights a week with me. and i take him to football one night a week and then drop him off. thank you

You can work out exactly what you should be paying using the calculator here
https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance
Technically you no longer have to pay anything towards the mortgage - but if your ex's earnings are low then it would be appropriate to continue to pay towards it
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you very much for your reply regarding my payments to my ex. could you please help me on a couple of other points. i have a £2000 credit card bill in my name used to pay for a family holiday should that be split 50 50 . also my wife has £10000 inheritance what am i intitled to. thank you. john yorke

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
When did she receive her Inheritance?
How much does she earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the house is on the market for £160000 . owe about £28000 . she recived her inheritance in august. she works part time and i think she earns around £800 . also how do we split any profit from the house. thank you

How much will your ex need to buy a two bedroom property for herself and the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i would say between £85000 and £90000 .

Since there are ample funds to divide between you and she has not long received her inheritance I am afraid that it is unlikely the court will grant you a share of it
The Credit card debt will be taken into account in the capital settlement - but that does not mean she will have to pay it - just that the share of capital she gets will be reduced accordingly.
However the priority for the courts will be the safe and secure housing of your son until he is 18 so she will certainly get sufficient to purchase a new property
A 64/35 split of the property in her favour would give her enough - with her inheritance - to rehouse herself which makes this a likely (although not certain) outcome