Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hello, I am Swedish and me and my partner are not married

Customer Question

I am Swedish and me and my partner are not married but we have two children and a house with a mortgage. If we were to divorce, where does that leave me financially?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When you say "divorce" I assume that you mean separate?
How old are the children and who will they live with?
What income do you and your partner each have?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

Yes … sorry …as soon as I sent the message I realised I hadn't been very articulate.

I meant separate. The children are 4 and 7. I hope they would live with me but I'm sure my husband would dispute it.

I freelance and earn 1300 before tax a week but the about I work varies. This year I haven't worked at all and last year I worked full time all year. My husband freelances too and earns 2000-2300£ a week. The about of work he does varies as well but lets say he does 9 months on average 77000£ approx.

Our house is worth 900.000 and we have 230.000 left on our mortgage.

Not being married, would I be allowed to take the children to Sweden. Divorced, I have no support here and a big family in Sweden.

Thanks, Lotta

How much does a three bedroom property in the same general area cost?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

About £900.000

Is there nowhere close to the schools that would be cheaper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, unfortunately not. Out of interest, why am I being asked this?

lotta

It is relevant because the fact that you are not married gives you very limited claims on your ex in the event of a separation
He does however have an ongoing duty to help you house the children until they are 18 - and if that means you remaining in the property - or receiving more than 50% of the equity in order to move then that is possible - although eventually when the youngest is 18 the hose will have to be sold or the excess equity used repaid.
If he can show that a sale would if nothing else release him from the mortgage whilst still allowing you to house the children then a court could order it
He has an ongoing maintenance liability of approximately 14% of his gross income
You cannot take the children to Sweden without his agreement or an Order from the Court
I hope that this is of assistance - Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You,

that's great.

Very helpful,

Lotta

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.