13262538

In 1983 I was informed via a third party that I was the father

Customer Question

In 1983 I was informed via a third party that I was the father of a baby girl who had been placed for adoption. Being Military, there was no way I could follow this up. It cost me one marriage and has affected my second marriage very badly.
For 31 years I loathed myself for not doing something to claim this baby in my name. I haved lived with the knowledge that I have a daughter and not known her growing up.
I managed to locate her two years ago and in the last month we have had a DNA test that proved I was NOT her father.
We have bonded in the last month and are now both devastated that I was wrongly informed. The person who informed me is in Australia. We have spoken and he confirms that the woman said I was the father.
What would be my legal standing to reclaim the cost of the DNA test from this woman who wrongly accused me of being the father.

I only require the cost of the test, not the 30 years of heartbreak.

Thank you for your time.

Dave
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you however I am afraid that I have bad news for you.
Whether or not you can prove that she told people the baby was yours you cannot claim the money back at all.
As a starting point she herself never told you that you were - and of course she may have genuinely believed that you were the father.
However the actual point is that there was no contractual relationship between you that allows you to make any claim
Sorry to give you such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. It is not bad news. I know where I stand now.
Dave
You are most welcome - good luck