13262538

Hello, Ive been with the father of our children for 12 years

Customer Question

I've been with the father of our children for 12 years but we are not married.
Our children are 4 and 7. I am Swedish and my husband English.
Hes was diagnosed with a serious neck tumour last christmas. He has recovered
really well and is now back at work. Unfortunately, they didn't manage to remove the whole tumour for fear of paralysing him from the neck down. This means it can grow back and I presume paralyse him or kill him.
Two questions:
1, If he died where would I be financially and legally seen as we are not married.
2, What sort of insurance would you recommend to cover us in the event of him becoming paralysed from the neck down?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
Unless your partner has made a Will naming you as Executor and left you any of his estate in his Will then you have no Automatic claim on his estate which will instead pass equally to all of his children
If the House is held in Joint names as Beneficial Joint Tenants then the house will pas to you automatically - but if you wish to receive anything else then you would have to make a claim against the estate for Financial Provision.
You need to look at Critical Illness cover - if you can find an Insurance Company willing to take him on.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details