13262538

My daughters father wants my husband to adopt her, he has told

My daughters father wants my husband to adopt her, he has told my child this she is 8, he told her that way she can change her name. He left my daughter when she was only 1. Can I remove his parental rights as he wants to give her up, I don't see why he should have any rights over her now

Clare :

Hi Thank you for your question.

Clare :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you

Clare :

but I need some further information first.

Clare :

Does your husband wish to adopt the child?

Clare :

Is the biological father paying maintenance?

Customer: Yes my husband wants to adopt my daughter, and her father is not paying maintenance anymore
Clare :

Is there any reason why you are not going ahead with the adoption, and why has he stopped payments

Customer: We are going ahead with the adoption but we have been told it will take 12-18months, he has stopped payments due to loosing his job and driving licence due to drink driving and endangering the lives of others. He told my daughter she could change her name by deed poll so she could be the same as her sisters, she was excited and at the last min wouldn't sign as he wants her to be adopted by my husband, my daughter was distraught. I am now worried he will also refuse to sign adoption at the last min too. So we want his parental rights removed as he is upsetting her and doesn't want her anymore,
Clare :

The only way that his PR can be removed is via the adoption I am afraid.

Clare :

He should still be making the minimal payments required by the CSA - which may well keep him focussed on consenting to the adoption.

Customer: Is that because of lack of evidence?
Clare :

I am sorry not to give better news

Clare :

No it is because there is no process for doing so except in the most extreme of circumstances involving sexual abuse

Customer: Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX only wanted to change her name it's such a shame thanks again