Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Hello and I have a question regarding pre-matrimonial property.

Customer Question

Hello and I have a question regarding pre-matrimonial property. My parents are planning to purchase a property in London for me to live, ideally with names of me, my father and my mother. However because this is a pre-matrimonial property, I am wondering if I get divorced in future ,will I need to share the value of it with my future partner/husband? Would you please provide me some legal advices regarding pre-matrimonial possession in the UK?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am afraid that in England and wales all property owned by either party at the time of the divorce forms part of the Matrimonial Assets for consideration by the court in the event of a divorce
However the court does take into account what assets each party brought to the marriage in deciding what the settlement should be
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.