13262538

My partner and I live together and he pays £550/month in child

Customer Question

My partner and I live together and he pays £550/month in child maintenance for his 2 children from his previous marriage. This has been a verbal agreement since they separated 5 years ago. He has changed jobs and now has a less well paid job and looking on the CSA website it advises that on his current income he should be paying £340. His ex wife has remarried so we have mentioned we feel the maintenance should be reduced now but she is not happy! Are we correct in thinking his maintenance should reduce now his income is less?
Emma
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you
You are indeed correct that the maintenance should be reflected as a percentage of your partner's income.
If his ex will not agree then the best way forward is for your partner to ask the CSA to complete an assessment
I hope that this is of assistance- please ask if you need further details