Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My father recently passed away abroad (he is dual nationality

Customer Question

My father recently passed away abroad (he is dual nationality - British and Iranian).
He had also recently been divorced in the UK and the majority of his assets were given to his ex-wife.

What he does have still in the UK are 4 bank accounts.
2 of these are his business accounts for his businesses in Iran (£70k and 40k euros).
1 is his personal account (£137k) and the final one is in my daughter's name (she is 5 years old) which contains a modest sum which he had been putting away for her.

I assume his assets in Iran are covered by Iranian inheritance laws. But I do not have a grasp of the UK laws, and what is subject to inheritance tax. Furthermore, as his Iranian death certificate has still not been translated and verified by the Iranian consulate, his death has not yet been registered in the UK.

I am lead to believe he has a will with UK based solicitors, and that the executor of the will is a close friend of the family (who is currently in Iran).

I'm looking for general advice and guidance on the steps I need to take and rules governing inheritance taxation.

Many Thanks, Bob.