familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Hi, I am currently in the process of filing a divorce petition

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently in the process of filing a divorce petition against my partner for adultery and she has admitted this on form D10(1). I have since completed a form D84 application for a decree nisi however the paperwork has been returned because the signature she signed on the form does not resemble her name it is just a squiggle (that is the way she signs her signature). I have to verify her signature and write it as she has signed it. her name isXXXXX An and she has signed the paperwork similar to what appears to look like nz but in a scrawl. How do I explain this when completing the form I put her full name down but the court is saying her signature bears no resemlence to her full name. Thanks
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

The court staff are being overly pedantic. If that is how she signs her name normally, then that is what you have to use. If the member of staff at the court counter won't accept that, then you may have to make an application to the judge for him/her to approve it. Although that sounds daunting, you will almost certainly find that the judge will be very polite and helpful to you. I suggest you speak again to the counter staff and, if they still won't accept it, then ask them to help you make an application to the/a judge.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Regards,
Mac.