Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

My friend has recently left her husband after many years of

Customer Question

My friend has recently left her husband after many years of abuse. He is continuing the verbal abuse over the phone with threats about money, the children and even taking his own life. She just doesn't know what to do and heading towards a breakdown as this continues. The latest threat is about not making a substation sum of money available and will let the house be reposed rather than support with the mortgage payments.
What can she do to prevent this from happening??
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have they been married and how old are the children?
What assets and debts are there and what income do they each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure exactly but they have been married 19 yrs. 2 children ages 16 and 10. The own to properties one the home with a mortgage of approx £100. The second one is a villa in Spain with a similar mortgage
£11000 of shares has just been sold which is the sum of money in my original question.
She earns £35000 per year and he runs his own business and takes home between £1000 an £3000 per minth
HI
Who currently lives in the Matrimonial home?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The wife
Is she not able to maintain the mortgage herself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes she can. Only issue is that the mortgage payment comes out the joint account. She has moved her paycheck into a separate account to prevent him spending it. Happy to transfer money back to cover the mortgage but afraid the joint account will be abused and the money won't be available to make the payment
Has she considered paying the mortgage directly from her account instead or does she wish to wait and see if he does pay?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think she would yes.
Is she willing to start divorce proceedings or does she just want to maintain the current situation for a while?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think so but right now her main concern is how to ensure she doesn't lose everything
HI
How much is the Matrimonial Home actually worth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Approx £180k
The money from the shares is that also going into the joint account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it's gone missing! Husband sold the shares and taken the money
What income do they each have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Claire - this question has already been asked and answered. Are we getting close to any advice

My apologies so it has
If your friend is not yet ready to start divorce proceedings her only option for now is to ensure that she takes over paying the mortgage on the matrimonial home and applies to the CSA for maintenance for the children.
When she is ready to start the divorce proceedings her ex will still have to account for the money that he has received from the sale of the shares
Since there is a reasonable amount of equity in the former matrimonial home if the share money has gone she can have the whole of the house instead.
Alternatively she can issue Divorce Proceedings immediately and make an immediate application for the financial issues to be dealt with
The starting point for division of the equity is 50/50 with the priority being the safe and secure housing of the children until they are 18 - so there is little doubt that she will remain in the property and it is likely to be transferred to her name
If there are other details that you need do please ask

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.