13262538

My ex-wife has had a live-in boyfriend for over 2 years in

Customer Question

My ex-wife has had a live-in boyfriend for over 2 years in the former marital home. He had previously resided there for approximately another 18 months also, but left the home for a short period in-between. So in total he has lived 3.5 years of the last 5 years and is a permanent resident now and for the last 27 months.

Between them, my ex-wife and her boyfriend earn more than I do on my own.

As the former marital home still has to be sold and therefore become a significant part of the final financial settlement, my question is whether a Court would take into account the additional income that my wife's boyfriend brings in (as he contributes to the bills)?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
Are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

The house is worth around £450k. The outstanding debt is around 370k

I have a 15 year old that still lives with my ex-wife and stays with me part time (I have a room for her in my house). There is also a 21 year old living there part time (has independent means of income etc)

John

What relevance do you think that her partners income has - is your ex asking for Spouse maintenance?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she wants a clean break

What offer of settlement has she made?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she wants 80% leaving me 20%

What other assets are there including pensions?
How much does a two bedroom property in the same general area cost to but.
What income do you each have - including her new partner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My pension is minimal. I think its only got a fund of around £80,000. I have not contributed for many years. My ex wife's is worth more as she will have a full teachers pension at retirement.

There are no more assets to take account of other than shares worth £30,000 in my name.

a 2 bed property (houses) averages at about £170k (70,000 at the very low end and up to around 270,000)

And incomes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My ex wife earns around £38,000 per annum. Her partner earns about £40,000 - they are both teachers on full teachers pension rights.

I am self employed with an up and down income. lately it has been quite good but average is about £60,000 per annum.

How far has the divorce reached?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

divorce finalised a long time ago without financial settlement due to the non-sale of property that all things rest on

Is there a problem with the sale of the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

only that it is being marketed at a rather higher than market price

Is that what the Estate agent says
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Just to check - have you remarried at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes and my new wife and i have a dependant child aged 14. My wife does not work. We receive some maintenance from his father

HI
Sadly that limits the options that you can take.
You can apply to the court for an Order for sale using Property law as a joint owner and ask for a 50/50 division of the proceeds
The Court can set the sale price if need be.
Your ex can still apply to the court within the Divorce proceedings for a settlement that gives her a larger share of the proceeds of sale
HOWEVER given the fact that she has a cohabitee it is unlikely that she will in fact get more than 50% of the equity - which is the only way that her partners financial settlement will impact on the situation
I am sorry not to give you better news - but please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

You are welcome - I hope all goes well