Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have 3 special needs children. The current court order allows

Customer Question

I have 3 special needs children. The current court order allows them to have contact with their father twice a month and longer at holiday time. I have tried to go against the contact with not much luck. He is a teacher. My eldest child, my daughter simply refuses to go. But I am tied by contact with the boys, twins aged 16. At what point can this court order, made in 2010, be overturned without further damage being done?
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask how old the oldest child is?
May I also ask what kind of Special Needs your twins have, and why you wish to change the order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Grace will be 19 in March 2014. All three are on the autism spectrum with the identical twin boys most severely affected with Asperger's Syndrome. Through my efforts they now attend a specialist residential school during the week. I divorced the father on the grounds of his misconduct but seem to have spent a considerable amount of time and money preventing the local authority from passing the children into his care and thus avoiding the expense of these out-of-county placements. I feel however that justice has not really been served.

How do you wish to change the order?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for replying. I wish for the contact order to be changed so that the children see their father only when they want to, and not when the court says they have to.

Do your twins actually have sufficient mental capacity to make this decision
( I have no intention of being rude - "special needs" covers a very wide range)