Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My friend has been living with his girlfriend for 4 years.

Customer Question

My friend has been living with his girlfriend for 4 years. He is the sole owner of the property and she pays him monthly money which contributes to the mortgage and upkeep of the house. He wants to ask her to leave as the relationship has broken down. Where does he stand financially? Assets within the home are jointly owned and can be split when she goes but what about the house?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much does she pay and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure about the exact amount that she contributes. All the bills are in his name as are the deeds to the house.

There are no children in the relationship.

She is Polish and earns a minimum salary as a secretary local to home. She has no family and few friends over here.

Neil

Has she ever made any contribution to alterations or improvements to the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure but I think that she has. Will this make a difference? Is there anything else I should ask him?

It is important - and I also need to know if what she has paid has been more than the going rate for rent in the area?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I WILL FIND OUT TOMORROW AND GET BACK TO YO. ANYTHING ELSE?

If she has made a contribution to improvements - how much have they increased the sale price of the property
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

SHE HAS PAID TOWARDS THE DOUBLE GLAZING AND THAT WILL INCREASE THE VALUE OF THE HOUSE. SHE PAYS £350 RENT & SPLITS BILLS & COUNCIL TAX. WILL HE HAVE TO SELL THE HOUSE IF SHE IS ENTITLED TO A CLAIM? HE HAS NO OTHER ASSETS. THANK YOU.

How much did she pay towards the double glazing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SHE PAID £1000 & HE PAID £3000. ROUGHLY HOW MUCH WILL HE BE OUT OF POCKET?

Ok
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage - and how much would it have been worth without the double glazing?