Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My son has lived with his partner (they are not married) for

Customer Question

My son has lived with his partner (they are not married) for the last seven years. They moved to a house owned by the local council just under twelve months ago. Our son is the father of three children who live with them. The youngest child's mother is his current partner. The property is rented in joint names. Recently, our son's partner locked him out of the property following an argument in which she attacked him with a set of keys causing minor injuries. The incident was logged with the local Police but our son does not wish to press charges. Currently, our son is being prevented from entering his home and is missing his children. His partner is refusing to discuss the matter. Can you please advise as to what his rights of access are and how he should proceed? Many thanks.
My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and who has had their day to day care until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Girl aged 11 years, boy aged 8 years, boy aged 4 years. Both parties provide day to day care with the usual support from grandparents.

Do either of them work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Female partner does not currently work. Son is self employed.

has your son considered looking for an alternative property to rent?