13262538

What advice can you provide in order to prepare for a truancy

Customer Question

What advice can you provide in order to prepare for a truancy hearing? My sister has an issue with her 16 year old son who won't go to school. He becomes verbally abusive and threatens physical violence if she insists.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has she spoken with Social services at all?
Has she spoken with the School?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He goes to several different establishments during the week and it is only the special school PRU that he refuses to attend. They have acknowledged that he is one of the most poorly served students at the school (in terms of timetable and support provided) but have still issued penality fine of 60 GBP and threatening court proceedings. My sister refuses to speak voluntarily to social services following previous distressing experiences.

Does he have an official diagnosise of any type/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - but we can't get him to the Dr either.

What has happened with Social services before now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He (along with his twin brother) was charged with assaulting his mother and grandfather when they were 14. Social services made my sister feel like the guilty party and when I refused to take them in when they were released from custody, social services said to me on the phone that they would leave them with their grandparents (one or whom they had just been accused of assaulting)!

I certainly cannot blame her for her reluctance - but sadly they are the only people who can assist her in avoiding a Court hearing
It is hard to see how she is meant to force a young man who is likely to be larger and stronger than her to attend school.
If she really cannot stomach Social Services then the best alternative option is the family rights Group (www.frg,org.uk)
Otherwise it is a matter of preparing a chronology and using photgraphs to show the court how impossible the position is for her and that criminalising her simply will not assist