Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have been cohabiting with my partner since 2009, and we have

Customer Question

I have been cohabiting with my partner since 2009, and we have been together since 2006. I am female, 54 yrs old; he is 60. He is still legally married, however, and is not legally separated. There are no minor children involved. She lives in a house nearby which is fully paid for. He still has a bank account with his wife's name on it. I have an account in my own name. The house we live in is in his name and his sister's name (paying a mortgage). I am a full-time doctoral student and am financially dependent on him (although I have just taken up a low-paying, part-time job). He has developed cancer and also has other medical problems, and I am his sole carer. Although he is still able to work, I am worried what will happen if he becomes too ill to go to work and/or dies. Do I have any legal rights to the house we live in, his bank account, his pension?