cityguru
cityguru, Solicitor
Experience:  30 yrs experience
18726264

My father has the house I live in in his name mortgage and

Customer Question

My father has the house I live in in his name mortgage and deeds but he wants me to transfer it to me I can't financially get a mortgage in my name. But can I get the deeds put into my name and pay the mortgage that is in his name
Expert:  cityguru replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am afraid if there is a mortgage you cannot change the title to the property without the agreement of the mortgagee. What you could possibly do is get them to agree to a transfer into joint names. Otherwise he can execute a declaration of trust giving you the beneficial ownership of the property whilst leaving the legal title in his name.