chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I own with my partner a property and wonder what my legal claims

Customer Question

I own with my partner a property and wonder what my legal claims are to it. We are jointly on the deeds and she pays me half the mortgage. I pay all the other bills including life insurance and insurance for the property.

Can you advise me please
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 3 years ago.

chatham-chamber :

Hi, are you and your partner married?

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

no

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

only engaged

chatham-chamber :

Hi, if you are not married, you and your partner will have equal rights to the property. If you are paying toward the Bills and Insurance, provided you can prove that you have been making these payments, you may be able to claim for these. However, in the event that you are not able to evidence this, the starting point for you to consider would be equal ownership - 50/50.

chatham-chamber :

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

chatham-chamber :

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

chatham-chamber :

Many thanks,

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

I have evidence in forms of bank statements

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

I want to know though what I can do to buy her out and do i need to give her the value of the property less what each of us has paid. The current amount we paid for the property is £98,000, however, we paid a deposit of £10,000 between us £6,000 of which I paid and the £4,000 she paid.

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

or would i pay the value of the property at which a estate agent would give for the valuation of the property

chatham-chamber :

Hi, you can negotiate with your partner to pay a specific price. In the event that you cannot agree, you will have to apply for an Order for Sale through the courts.

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

We have a outstanding mortgage of approx £88,000 after the deposit of £10,000. So what would you advise I pay her, is only the deposit less what each paid?

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

plus any payments for bills

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

also do i need a valuation of the property

JACUSTOMER-jvx8vas5- :

I have been hanging on for nearly three hours waiting for an answer.

chatham-chamber :

Hi, i was off line. Do you still require an answer?