Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have a problem with social sevices at the moment invoving

Customer Question

I have a problem with social sevices at the moment invoving my son.
My son has a acute from autsim.With this he has low social skills. About 1 year ago he started to get up in the middle of the night going out on to streets until the police picked him up and brought him back. This happened about 12 times within a year time frame. Within this time i brought locks and senors to stop him getting out on the times he did get out i forgot to lock the doors and put the senors on.I know this is down to me.

About October last year I went to the doctors with my son to ask for help with his condition.The doctor put in a refall to the hospital to see a pediatrician,she also phoned social services.Within a week of going to the doctors a social worker came to my house to dicuss my son's situation. She said she was not happy with my sons saftey and will be coming back within the next five days to come up with a solution.About a week later she came back and said that if a did'nt hand over my son over to them so they can hand him to my ex partner temporarily while they do an acessment or they will put him into care.I found that i had no choice but to say yes. I did'nt sign any documents argeeing to this.She said it will take two weeks for this acessment to be done after that I will get my son back. This was roughly about three weeks before christmas.The acessment people didn't come out when they said they said would as they went to the wrong house! they rearranged the visit for jan 7th, in the mean time I had to arrange with the social worker with regrards to christmas time with my son.It was agreed that I would have my son on chirstmas day and my mother would stay overnight and make sure the house was locked so that my son could not get out we all signed an argeement for this .This went okay and he did not get out and he was happy to be home but not when he realised that he had to back the next day to his father.When the acessment people came out to see me they asked about my background and did some questions.At the end of the acessment they said they were happy with me and will send the report to the social worker.It took about a week for the social worker to get back to me with their findings.She said that she didn't have the report yet but in her opinion felt that if my son was to come back to me she would step it up to child protection. I was gobsmacked with her statement.

Through this process I have not had any legal advice.When she said to me I could't have my son back without child protection being involved it feels like i'm being treated like a criminal.Also through out this process they have'nt asked my son what he thinks or offer any help with his condition.

I have an appointment with the pediatrician next week that was placed back in October.

I need help in what to do next.

What do you think I should do ?.
How old is your son?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my son is 9 years old,birthday is may 28th.

How often did he get out AFTER you had put in the locks and sensors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

three times.

What was the assessment actually looking into and were there any other concerns about your care of the child?