Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

my mother has just passed away out of her 3 sons and 6 daughters

Customer Question

my mother has just passed away out of her 3 sons and 6 daughters who would be her next of kin
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

If your Mother did not leave a Will, then none of you take preference to the others in being next of kin. All of you are deemed to be equal next of kins.

However, if your Mother's Estate needs to be administered, and Letters of Administration is required (the same as probate, but is the phrase used where someone died without leaving a Will), then this can be applied for by any of the children. Whoever applies first, then becomes her Administrator and is responsible for dealing with her Estate.

I hope this answers your question, but please let me know if you require any further clarification.

Kind Regards
AL