75100385

HelloI am a foster carer. The local authority has issued

Customer Question

I am a foster carer. The local authority has issued new safe caring contracts. there is a statement contained there in, advising carers that they must have prior permission from the social worker and team manager,if they wish to have 'spiritual' friends to stop over night. is this discriminatory practice ?
Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Is it excluding a particular religion please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not even sure if they are making reference to religion, when they talk about spiritual. There is no specific religion mention. I have told them I am of Jewish/Christian heritage, there are other Christian carers but also 'spiritual' carers, with no religious beliefs.

If it is on grounds of religion the it is discrimination. If it is not religion based then whilst it can be discriminatory it is NOT illegal.

This is because under the current law you can only discriminate on the grounds of age, sex, colour, religion.

There are other grounds that you CAN discriminate on.

So as long as it is not included in religion or based on religion then yes they can do this. If you are unhappy you can complain to the Ombudsman so they investigate. Their website is: www.lgo.org.uk

I realise this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.