13262538

Basically in a nutshell. An anonymous complaint was made to

Basically in a nutshell. An anonymous complaint was made to the nspcc, passed to social who contacted us about our 11 year old son. The allegations, concern emotional abuse, and well being, We have had an assesment which has been going on for a week now. However at the same time, today the social worker said she has no concern for his emotional well being, but states she needs to understand the situation further as, at school ,they stated he has used inappropriate language to one staff. ,However, I acknowledge my son is no saint, but, he has been very unhappy at his school written this in his diary and really being reluctant to go to school, except to play with his friends. I have applied for a trasfer, but social keep asking me, why i want to change his school, and that it is not in his best interest, it is concerning, and they are reluctant to help us and have not. They are continuing the investigation, and said it could take up to three months. Also, as I have applied for secondary school entry into the private sector, he has had a lot of entrance exams. The social worker, for him, and she is worried it is too stressful for him, he is very pressurized and she is concerned. Also, she kept saying my son seemed very stressed because when she questioned him at school, without my permission, she said he seemed very concerned of getting a good school, and a good job, and knew what was a bad job and bad school, she felt these were not worries for a child, and she was concerned of his again emotional well being. I am being stopped form transferring him into another secondary school, I was questioned four times as to motives of putting him in boarding school( myself and my husband were boarding school educated), I am sure by statutory law as according to department of health, 35 days is the draw line for investigations. I was s club contact, told to sign consent to gp and sport club form, and told, we do not need to sign as we can just go in and do as we wish. I have been told behind maliciousness ( as we have problems with our neighbor and he probably made the complaint), there is truth.I am sure also that there are a few breaches of human rights)
What can I do? Where do I stand
For Clarity - is it correct that they have said that they have completed the Initial assessment and are now going on to complete a Core Assessment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

No they did not tell us anything of the kind, just that they received an anonymous complaint from someone who rang the nspcc ( we believe our neighbor), and that they had to do an investigation, and were talking to my son at school. When asked how long, they just said three months.

have you received anything in writing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, nothing in writing either, just recorded the meetings without her knowing.

When did they first contact you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI,

They first contacted us on the 23/01/14. We received a phone call stating that they tried to attend our place of residence, but as we were away they had not gained access. She said( social worker), that she had received a referral from the NSPCC, who received an anonymous call. Making particular allegations, we were not told what allegations. Achille ( my son was absent as he was away for boarding school exams) The social worker, said she wanted to see us in her office the day after and was going to speak to our son in school prior to meeting us the following day. We met on that Friday at 11:15 at her office. Subsequently she came to our flat 7 days after , to assess this.

No written papers, or telephone calls between this period ensued, I was merely told at the meeting what the allegations were, what I thought about them, and numerous other questions. When I asked, how long it would take, she simply said, 3 months.

Which area are you in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bayswater,city of westminster borough.London.

I suspect that you have not seen this leaflet http://transact.westminster.gov.uk/docstores/publications_store/WCC0501_ChildrenServices_dl_leaflet_AssesmentService.AW.pdf
That in itself - let alone the confusion and distress that the approach of the Social Worker has caused would merit a formal written complaint to the Workers direct Line manager
The complaints process is detailed here
http://www.westminster.gov.uk/services/healthandsocialcare/familycare/familysupport/contact-the-social-services-team/
The fact is that Social Services do indeed have wide powers to investigate where there is cause for concern over a child BUT they are answerable and they do have to work within an accepted framework - and it is far from clear what the actual concern now being investigated is
Please ask if you need further details