Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor
28732269

my partner and I of 2 years are splitting up. we own the house

my partner and I of 2 years are splitting up. we own the house 50/50. Is he entitled to any of my personal savings which I already had before we joined up. He has no savings at all
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are there any children of the relationship?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No there are no children

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If you are unmarried and there are no children of the relationship then he will not be entitled to any of your savings. This is because unmarried couples do not have the same financial rights as married couples. There is no such things as a “common law marriage”.

This means that all your assets in your sole name will remain yours. Therefore, because your savings are in your sole name and you are responsible solely for the accrual of the savings they will remain yours.

He won’t be able to claim them.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kindly rate my answer if you are satisfied with the information I have provided.

Kind regards,

Tom