13262538

I am a separated father of a 7 year old child and I am having

I am a separated father of a 7 year old child and I am having trouble with my ex partner in regards XXXXX XXXXX Up until January of last year I was paying maintenance through the CSA but then we had no end of trouble with the money not getting to my ex partner and I was being charged for late payments even though the money had gone through. My ex partner and I then came to a mutual agreement for me to pay the same amount money direct to her instead, which up until now has worked fine. Unfortunately she has now decided that I am not paying enough and demanding that I pay more towards my child's maintenance as she, I believe, is having money troubles. This has come about after I have been away abroad on cheap weekend holiday with friends and she sees this a frivolous and if I have money to do that I should be paying her more instead. She has tried to, what I believe to be, blackmail me in saying that if I do not pay more from this month she will stop my child coming away with us later in the year, a trip that has already been agreed, booked and paid for. I would like to know what my legal stance is with this as I feel like this is blackmail. Any help would be appreciated.
Which part of the Uk are you in and are there any Contact Orders in place at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

We both live on Merseyside and there is no contact order in place.

Hi Scott
When was the CSA assessment closed and would you be willing to use them again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

The csa assessment was closed last January 2013.

I have sent her a text stating that I would be happy to increase the monthly amount by £10 starting in April but if she is not happy with this I will go back to the csa. I am yet to hear back from her.

If push came to shove I would consider using them but I am extremely reluctant to do so due to all the problems they caused between myself and my ex partner. Honestly I do not trust them to deliver the service of passing on my childs maintance money.

Hi Scott
I cannot say I disagree with you about the CSA
You could try doing a new calculation using the newest rules
http://www.nacsa.co.uk/index.php/cs3-top
And offer that.
If she does threaten your contact again the pleasant remember that the law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
If you have to you can apply for a defined contact order
Details here
http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice. It seems that she has decided to take the increase from April. Would you suggest that I get her to sign something to this effect and also include something in it regarding the holiday? Just to cover me in case she tries to do this again in a few months time and would this be legal if she ever challenged it?

Whatever she signs is not binding.
You could certainly ask her to sign an agreement setting out the contact that you have agreed between you - it will be helpful if there is a dispute in the future