13262538

I have recently found out that I have no legal rights over

Customer Question

I have recently found out that I have no legal rights over my step children. They are now all adults over the age of 18. What can I do to remedy this situation and have full legal rights.
Given that they are all now over 18 what is it that you wish to achieve?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would like to become their legal guardian so that we can legally have a say in each others lives.

Since they are over 18 even their biological parents have no Legal Rights over them and the only legal link will be triggered in the event of their dying without leaving a Will at which point if they have neither spouse nor children their parents would inherit their estate
Equally the only legal right that the children have arises in the event that their parents die without Wills
There is nothing that can now change the legal relationship between you and your step- children however if they have not already done so they can adopt your name if they so wish - and you can all make Wills which ensures that the relationship is not ignored in the event of death.
I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details