familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

My Son and his partner have split up and have a 2and half year

Customer Question

My Son and his partner have split up and have a 2and half year old son.
My son lives with us and was having his son to stay at weekends and one night in the week.
When my son has him he has his mobile phone on but when my son doesn't have him he has blocked his ex due to her constantly texting or ringing and then they argue as its not always about his son.
she can always contact myself(his Nan) or his Grandad or the landline, but she says that my son can't have his son unless she has 24/7 contact on his mobile.
I just wondered if there is any legal requirement about having the mobile contact 24/7.
Thankyou
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac and I can help you with your question.

There is no legal requirement for your son to have his phone on 24/7, or at all (or even have a phone).

A court would not support the mother in blocking contact for that reason. If she cut off contact on that basis, he would be able to ask the court to make an order for his son to have contact with him - presumably asking for the original arrangements to be reinstated - and I would expect him to have a good chance of success.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Regards,
Mac.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your reply, It is very helpful.

No problem at all, I wish him the very best of luck.

If you could remember to rate my answer, I would be grateful.

Kind regards,
Mac