13262538

My son is 18 in a months time his ex girlfriend gave birth

Customer Question

My son is 18 in a months time his ex girlfriend gave birth to a baby girl on the 10th of this month. He didnt know she was pregnant untill the day she had her. The mother of the baby has been letting my son and us see the baby on their terms always with them present .My son would like to be able to go collect his daughter and bring her her as he lives with us his parents, for the the day or maybe an overnight stay but the mother is saying she does not trust my son for him to have the baby here without her and her mother, my son has done nothing to make them not trust him.The mother of the baby and grandmother are making it as uncomfortable as they possibly can . What rights has he got to have her here .Please
has the baby been registered and is his name on the Birth Certificate/
How often has he seen the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes his name is on the birth certificate and he has been seeing her for around 8-9 hours total over three days aweek, recently seen her for 6 hours per week has they have dropped it to that . Me and her mother agreed to it at 1st because all my son and his ex girlfriend did was argue over him seeing her more, but they have made it so hard because they now still wont let the baby be with her dad and our family without them. He has not caused any trouble not said anything he has gone along with everything they say untill now.

Just to check - the baby was born last month wasn't she?
Is mum breastfeeding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she was born on the 10th jan, baby is bottle fed, they have seen him from the day she was born feed her clean her change her , calm her when she is upset .We have tried so hard but they are trying so hard to push him away.

The law says that a child is entitled to regular contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this of necessary.
Contact needs to be suited to the age of the child- so little and often at the start is a good guide - but as you say it is time to move on and for contact to move away from the mothers home.
It is a little early to be talking about overnight contact - but longer contact in your home is a reasonable request
He can get some more information here
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
Your son needs to try and discuss matters with his ex using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk)
Asking for three visits of two hours each week possible - building up the weekend visit to a whole day over a number of weeks
If that fails then he will have to make an application to the court for a defined contact order
Details here
http://www.cafcass.gov.uk/media/168195/cb7-eng.pdf
I hope that this is of assistance
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help, I will be contacting mediation to see if they can help us all come to an agreement which is best for the baby

I hope all goes well