How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Kasare Your Own Question

Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Separation advice and entitlement

Customer Question

I have taken the decision to leave my partner of 5 years for various reasons, we are not married although have 2 children aged 4 and 6 months and we own a house jointly together worth c£249k with a mortgage of c£158k.

I considering asking family for financial support to enable me to move out of the family home with the children whilst it sells as the atmosphere is not one in which I want the children to live and my partner I'd bring very difficult to live with and I want the children to suffer as little disruption as possible.

I am currently on maternity leave (hence why finances are strained) and in due to return to work in August, full time. I am the children's main carer.

All our finances are are joint and it is something I've always dealt with, we both earn similar salaries c£30k, we have little savings just enough to substitute my income whilst on maternity leave - which presumably we'll have to split.

I'd like if possible a few questions answering :-

When we bought the house in 2010 my partner sold his house and put approx £25k down as a deposit / lump sum although no feed of trust was signed at the time. My partner is of the opinion he is entitled to this amount back plus half the equity of the property - what are we both legally entitled too??

I have 2 rental properties in my name where the mortgages have always been covered by the rental income - does he have any recourse to these properties?

If I can afford to move out I will still pay half the mortgage and the loan we have jointly as j understand I'm responsible for these commitments. Would you agree this is it the best plan?

If I can't afford to move out and the atmosphere and environment becomes unbearable what can I do?

Neither of us can afford to buy one another out.

I hope I've given you enough information and I look forward to hearing from you soon with answers to my questions and any other advice you may have.

Thanks in advance
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

My name is Mac. I can help you with your question. First I need a bit more information:

- I note that you say no deed of trust was signed at the time, but was there any agreement in writing or otherwise about owning the house other than 50/50?

I would be grateful for that information, but before then I can immediately confirm that he will have no claim in respect of the two rental properties.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi MacThanks for your response; I can confirm there was no agreement about who would own the property other than 50/50.How would you advise is the best way to inform him especially if the outcome / answer is not in his favour.Regards

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Kasare



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
< Previous | Next >
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Glos solicitor's Avatar

    Glos solicitor

    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience in all areas of family law, now specialising in cases involving social services and children
  • Clare's Avatar


    Family Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
  • Harris's Avatar


    Family Law Expert

    Satisfied Customers:

    Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters