13262538

Divorced in July 2002. married in Dominincan republic for second

Divorced in July 2002. married in Dominincan republic for second time in October 2009.
Has to be a period of 10 months according to the law of their country before a woman can remarry. I only found this out recently as Thompsons did not tell us when we arranged the wedding through them. Am I married or not?
You appear to have been divorced for 7 years prior to re-marriage - is that not correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no,

I was divorced in july 2002 and then remarried in Dominican republic in October 2002 the same year (Different husband)

Thank you for that.
Did you produce a copy of your Decree Absolute to the Authorities there prior to the marriage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I was never asked to take it.it was not on the list from Thompson.Took Birth certificate and passport as requested. That was all..Wasnt aware that it was needed.

Did you not have to give a Declaration of eligibility to marry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

we were just asked for paperwork at the start of the vacation as the wedding was at the start of the second week.the travel agents were aware that we had both been married before.

On our return we never registered the marriage in this country

May I ask why this is now an issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Finance and seperation is an issue for me at present .I am the partner with money .

Hi Rosalind.
IF the marriage was legal in the Dominican Republic then it is legal here
However that is a big if and to clarify this you will need to get a legal opinion from an expert on Dominican Family law - my understanding is that the marriage is in fact still legal but it is worth you checking.
However even if you are not legally married your "husband" will still have a claim on the assets that accrued during your marriage
I am sorry not to be more specific - but sadly there is no Dominican Law Specialist on the site
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Clare
Thank you for your reply. I have asked several sources about this and they were unable to give me an answer. You have come closer than most. I presume I can at least change my name by deed poll!

Kindest regards
Rosalind
You can revert to your maiden name whenever you wish!
You could also start divorce proceedings irrespective of the issue of validity!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That would be good thank you. How do I revert to my maiden name please. As long as I can at least change something I will feel better
Kindest regards
Rosalind
It is one of the pluses of being female - you simply say that you wish to revert to your maiden name, produce your birth and marriage certificates and do it!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I apply to the court or somewhere else. This is my last question, thank you
No need to apply anywhere - you can simply tell everyone that you have decided to revert to your old name
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years