13262538

My son and his wife separated 20 months ago. They have one

My son and his wife separated 20 months ago. They have one son between them and he has a stepson and a new daughter in a new relationship. Although he and his wife bought a house together, she is the only one to have paid the mortgage since their separation (the mortgage company was allegedly informed) and my son is happy for her to keep the house without any payment from her. She has just received notification of redundancy and has said that he will have to pay the mortgage. Could you advise of his position?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage
How old is their child and how does that child spend hi/her time between them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

I think the house is worth approx. £100,000. Not sure how much is outstanding (I know it's in negative equity), and my grandson is 6. He sees my son once a week and stays overnight. They got married in August 2010 and had the house just before.

Sandy

Does he pay child maintenance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he does pay maintenance through the CSA. I have found out that the house is worth £120,000 and they bought it in 2007 if that helps.

Sandy

How much does your son earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He earns about 16k and she earns at least 20k

Sandy

So long as he is paying the Child Maintenance your son cannot and will not be forced to pay the mortgage- or anything towards it - at all
However if his ex defaults on the mortgage this will of course have an impact on your son's credit record.
As part of the eventual divorce proceedings a decision will have to be made about the property - although I am afraid it is likely that your son will have to remain on the mortgage so long as there is negative equity.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Clare.