13262538

my son in law has just left my daughter leaving her with three

my son in law has just left my daughter leaving her with three children, what are his responsibilities to her in law during the initial stages of separation?
How old are the children and what income do your daughter and her husband each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

the children are aged 14, 12 and 9 respectively their collective income is about £20,000.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare your website is behaving so strangely tonight and we have waited so long can we try again tomorrow?
Who owns the property and what initial financial arrangements have been made?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the house is on mortgage in joint names my daughter and myself no initial financial arrangements have been made yet as this only happened today. can we carry this conversation on tomorrow as we have been waiting such a long time and it is getting late. Also your website is playing up, I am afraid I will lose you.

We can continue whenever you wish - just come back as and when you can
It would be helpful if I knew how much your son in law earns gross
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He earns £10,338 and she earns £20,000, sorry I got it wrong earlier. if we continue this tomorrow, should I ring first ?

No you just pick up here
In fact his only responsibility is to pay child maintenance at 19% of his gross monthly income
In the long term clearly there will need to be discussion about what his share of the property might be but for now child maintenance is the only financial issue that your daughter can enforce.
Clearly they will also have to discuss what contact he will have with the children - and your daughter may find this website helpful
http://theparentconnection.org.uk/
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for that. We are shattered now as it has been a long and stressful day. I will be in touch tomorrow when we know more.

Remember that is early days and she is in shock - be gentle with each other