13262538

Hi, My ex and I separated 3 1/2 years ago due to her admitted

Hi, My ex and I separated 3 1/2 years ago due to her admitted 3 affairs. We never married but lived together for almost 18 years. We have 5 kids under 18 and I pay mtce through CSA. We own a house 50/50 as tenants in common, with an interest only joint mtge. My ex is on benefits and claims housing benefit for the maximum payable towards the monthly interest. I pay the balance monthly direct to the Building society. I was advised that I could not sell the house until the youngest child will be 18 as my ex can claim under the Children Act as a home for the kids. My ex's boyfriend has moved into the house, although I do not know if he contributes towards it.
Can I now enforce a sale of the house so that I can use my half of the equity to get somewhere to lie and see the kids?
Can I get the Ex's boyfriend out of the house? If not can I charge him rent?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Does her new partner work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
House is worth about £400,000 mtge of £290000.
Yes he is self employed with his own fish bait online business.
How old are the children - and how much would a cheaper but large enough alternative property cost to buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
6,8,11,14,17.
We have a 5 bed detached house. Not sure of values but a smaller one may well cost 300000
How much would a four bedroom cost?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure.
Rightmove or Zoopla should give you a guide - this is important in assessing your chances of forcing a sale
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
275000
What evidence do you have that her partner lives there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dates and the kids tell me he has lots of clothes there. She does his washing there. He leaves for work from there.
Does he own another property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The kids tell me he is selling it.
Hi Nigel
You cannot make her new partner leave the property nor charge him rent I am afraid
However if they are cohabiting then you have an excellent chance of being able to force a sale of the property.
The starting point should be to write and ask her for her proposals for a sale now that her partner has moved in.
If there is no positive response then you should write again and say that you intend to apply to the court using TOLATA for an order for sale - but do offer to attend family mediation before that to try and keep the costs down
Details of TOLATA claims here
http://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed1008
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for that, but surely she will apply under the Children Act to stay in the house with the kids until the youngest is18?

You are not expected to also house her partner.
The Children Act application only works if there is no other way of securely housing the children - and in this case your ex has a partner who is also expected to help with her housing needs if they are cohabiting