familylawexpert
familylawexpert, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Substantial experience (14yrs +) in divorce, financial cases, cohabitation, pre-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
75281287

Cohabiting Rights

I bought a property last year worth £450k with a deposit of £120k. My mortgage payments are ca. £1,750 pcm. My bills are ca. £300 pcm. I have since met someone and would like to invite her to move in. She has offered to pay £500 a month for "rent" & bills as this is cheaper than she is currently paying to rent with friends. She is not in a position to buy as she has no savings.

My question is if I accept "rent" from her, does this leave me open if we choose to split (this is not the intention but may happen). Her paying "rent" could be deemed as her supporting the mortgage payments (which I can sustain without her help). On the flip side this arrangement is mutually beneficial, as it is cheaper for her to move in with me than continue renting elsewhere. Please can you advise if she would have any claim in the undesirable event of a split?

Expert:  familylawexpert replied 3 years ago.

With the house in your sole name, and no explicit agreement that your girlfriend should have an interest, you are likely to be secure. However, please please get a cohabitation agreement - it will eliminate any chance of her making a claim against the property, and leave you both knowing exactly where you are.

It needn't be that expensive to make such an agreement. We are not able to recommend specific companies, but you can find places on the internet. Ultimately, the wording of the agreement should be plain and understandable to both of you. If the two of you sign such an agreement, you'll be secure.

I hope that is helpful. If you would like me to clarify anything, please ask. If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Regards,
Mac.