13262538

Weve just been engaged. We live in my future husbands house.

We've just been engaged. We live in my future husband's house. He is paying mortgage and I'm paying the bills. What rights do I have in case of disaster(hopefully it'll not happen)? Thank you very much. Elena
When do you plan to get married - and are there any children involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

Thank you for your message.

No children, they are grown up, we are in our 50s. He has two daughters 23 and 18. We are planning a wedding in 2015. Do we need to sign any papers before that in case of an accident? My friends were warning me that I can end up homeless. I don't have any property in UK. Thank you. Elena

Your friend's are correct to be concerned.
Do you know if your partner has made a Will giving you any protection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

no, as far as I know. We are together for 6 years now and we discussed it at some point, not a Will, but he himself suggested to sign a paper with a solicitor that I could stay in the house if something would happen.

But he hasn't done it. I've asked him a few times but he seemed to avoid this topic. And I feel very uncomfortable. Should I press the matter? I don't want to sound too demanding.

I suppose it costs money as well.

Then we were busy with jobs and children problems and I pushed this thought away. But I've got a friend who is very strict with this matters so she is forcing me to act. I presume that there should be a law for civil partners. This is why I'm writing to you.

I'm a UK resident and have a permanent job with the Oxford University.

Thank you very much

Elena

If anything happens to your partner then unless there is a Will stating that you can remain in the property for a certain length of time his daughters can technically force you to leave - although you would be able to make an application to the court for provision from the estate.
To avoid this you will need to either ask your partner to make a Will - or to transfer the property into your joint names.
When you actually marry then you will have rights on the Matrimonial Home and your position will be stronger
Please ask if you need further details