Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

my husband left tenyears ago its my house now i am getting

Customer Question

my husband left tenyears ago its my house now i am getting is debts sent to me how can i stop it
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you.

Firstly it is important to note you are not responsible for your husbands debts unless you personally guaranteed.

What you should do is prepare a standard letter to each creditor that reads as follows:
1. The debtor they have referred to no longer resides at this address and does not have any possessions or property at the address;
2. You are under no circumstances responsible for any of his debts;
3. Any letters that continue to be sent to you chasing for the debt you will deem unlawful harassment under S.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 which is a criminal offence;
4. Say that if they continue to chase you, you reserve the right to report the matter to the Police and your local Trading Standards;
5. Say that as a gesture of goodwill you are prepared to provide a forwarding address for your husband but are not prepared to enter into any further correspondence with them (only say this if you have a forwarding address).

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Can I assist you any further?

AJ