13262538

I thought I had changed my sons surname legally without permission

I thought I had changed my sons surname legally without permission from his father through deed poll as he was born outside the uk and I was not married to his father. I recently applied for a passport and they will not issue one in his changed surname without a letter of consent?
Where was the child born and when, and is the father named on the Birth Certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi,

the child was born in France in 2008 and his father is named on birth certificate but we were not married.

Why did you think that you did not need his permission?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

through deed poll, it says if the birth was registered outside the uk and you are not married then the father does not have PR and that was the reason they allowed the name change

I am afraid that this is not correct - the fact is that your ex does have Parental Responsibility for the Child - both in France and here - and you need either his consent or a Court Order to change the name
I am sorry to give such bad news - please ask if you need further details