Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

I have a severely autistic son who is 18 and should be able

Customer Question

I have a severely autistic son who is 18 and should be able to stay in education until july 2015 however due to his challenging behaviour and the sheer size of him the school is concerned for the other pupils and staff and I have been requested to consider moving him to a non educational setting sooner rather than later. I am a lone parent on income support and currently receive child benefit and child tax credit for him. When he moves to a non educational setting I will be £650 down on income and then his father will stop paying his maintenance of £200 due to him not being in education! my son is expensive to keep due to his requirements and specific obsessions and we will pretty much be unable to provide for ourselves, my son will be able to claim ESA but this will still leave insufficient funds and he will never be able to work due to his severe mental impairments. Is there any likelihood that maintenance can be continued to assist my son with living costs past the age of 18 if he is not in educational placements as I see no reason why I should be the only parent responsible for providing care?
Do you not receive DLA for your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes he does receive dla at high rate care and mobility, currently because he is still in education he does not claim ESA but will have to as soon as he moves to a non education placement and this is £250 less than we get for him on child tax credits and child benefit, then his dad will stop paying his £200 so in total that makes a difference of £450pm. From his ESA he will also have to make contributions to his personal budget

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
have had no answer yet and appears that this expert went offline
My apologies for the delay - and thank you for the explanation
have you looked at claiming Carers allowance?