13262538

My Dad passed away on 27th November 2013 and we are unable

Customer Question

My Dad passed away on 27th November 2013 and we are unable to trace his will, What can we do to trace it?
Are you sure that there was a Will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are finding it hard to believe that there isn't a will as My Dad was quite an organised man, he did die very suddenly aged only 59. He had recently moved from his house in Enfield and we all believe that if he was sorting his finances out then, that surely he would have left a will. Like i say it was all very sudden as he wasnt ill, so there may be a chance that there isnt one, but im not sure xx

Unfortunately the bad news is that there is no simple central register that can be checked.
The steps you need to take are to an extent common sense ones
Search the house for any evidence of correspondence with, or bills from, a solicitor or Will writing service.
Phone all local solicitors - and any Will writers that advertise in your local papers
You can ask your local Law Society to put an advert in their newsletter
You should contact this firm
http://www.certainty.co.uk/
who do run a Will register - but it is not compulsory.
It is also worth contacting the firm that dealt with the Conveyancing
If all fail then it may be that your father simple thought he was too young to need one.
I hope this is of at least some assistance - please ask if you need further details