13262538

I received my first letter from the child support agency in

I received my first letter from the child support agency in Jan 2013 regarding my daughter which I responded to Immediately, I sent off my payslips and was calculated I pay 15%, which I agree to, however in a telephone conversation with the child support agency they said we sent you letters in 2008 and owe £28,000, I can swear under oath that I have never received such letters, they also said they tried to ring me but never got a answer, to make things worse my daughter died in march 2013 which has tore my heart out, i received a letter dated 04/02/2014 stating I should be paying £45 a week, the child support was told last year my daughter passed away. I don't know were to turn and the stress this is causing me is unreal. Kind regards John ([email protected])

Clare :

Clare :

I

Clare :

am sorry for the delay - and even more sorry for your loss - the hurt is I know unbearable at time and dealing with the real world as well is even harder
There are questions I have to ask - so I am sorry in advance for the raw nerves they will touch.

Clare :

How old was your daughter and when did you last separate from her mother?
Did you pay any maintenance prior to 2013?

Customer: My daughter was 13, we seperated in 2005, we used to have a private agreement which was cancelled by my ex partener, I have never made payments to CSA prior to 2013 as I was unaware they tried to contact me.
Clare :

Again I am sorry for your loss - mine was 18 when I lost her last June.

Clare :

When did your ex cancel the payments you were making

Customer: So sorry Clare It's been so hard for me to deal with, I hope you are coping ok, It must have been approx 12 month, what I was trying to get at with the CSA I didn't receive any letters from them back in 2009 when they said they posted them.
Clare :

We will never get over it either of us - but the pain will ease to a duller hurt

Clare :

So was it in 2006 she stopped accepting your payments?

Customer: I have been getting counselling, with help from my employer, It has helped me a lot, but I feel like I've took a big step back, I lost all of my confidence and almost give up, however I take each day as it comes, yes it was 2006.
Customer: Sorry I lost you?
Clare :

My apologies for the delay

Clare :

The starting point is to obtain a copy of the CSA file.

Clare :

You are entitled to this in return for £10 under the Freedom of Information Act

Clare :

You can then check where they actually wrote to - if they write at all

Clare :

wrote not write

Clare :

You can then move on with an appeal from there - since clearly they did know where you lived as they did eventually contact you

Clare :

You must always write to the CSA - never rely on telephone calls

Clare :

as you have found out you rarely get the same answer two calls running

Clare :

This will not be an easy task especially given the circumstances - another reason for always writing

Clare :

This group have a good record of success with the CSA

Clare :

www.nacsa.org.uk

Clare :

Once you have the file then the way forward will become a little clearer

Customer: Ok thank you very much Clare, every time when i'm feeling low, I think to my self if my daughter could see me like this she would kick me in the butt, thats how she was, hated seeing me down, thats what keeps me strong, stay safe Clare.
Clare :

If you can show that they wrote to the wrong address or did not write at all then you can have the arrears remitted

Clare :

I am sure that is exactly what she would do - so deep breath and start the process

Customer: Thank you so much
Clare :

You are welcome

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years