13262538

If your husband or wife has to go into care, do you have to

Customer Question

If your husband or wife has to go into care, do you have to sell your house to pay for it?
Who owns the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is in my husbands name but I have lived with him for the past 40 years and we have been married for over 38 years, we never bothered to change the name on the deeds, it did not seem to be important

I am sixteen years younger hence the concern

Is your husband still mentally capable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has just had a clinical breakdown but is mentally capable. We do have power of attorney documents in place along with our wills which were checked by a local solicitor last year. They have been in place for many years

Hi Shirley
There is no cause for concern - you will not have to sell the house to pay the Care Home fees and the house is not counted as part of the assets when the Local Authority is completing the financial assessment
If you already have Powers of Attorney in place then you have done everything you need to have done
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance, I am sure it will not to come to my husband gong into care as I certainly do not want this, I was just worried. You have completely put my mind at ease now and I thank you.

An excellent service which if required I would not hesitate to use again.

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well