13262538

if a mother dies without leaving a will do her children have

Customer Question

if a mother dies without leaving a will do her children have any claim to her huse even if there is a surviving partner ,but they had never married
Who actually owns the property?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the house was originally my daughters from a previous marriage but she added her new partners name to the deeds some time ago approx 15 years i think

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i think i have answered this already but just in case i did not

the house was originally my daughters with her previous husband ,but when they divorced it was signed over to her alone and then about 15 years ago she added her new partner to the mortgage and there was no insurance to pay it off at death .as far as i know ,so he is still paying a mortgage on the property

Sorry for the delay
Do you know if they held the property as Joint tenants or as Tenants in Common?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I,m sorry but i don,t know that and i am not able to ask as we are also not in contact right now

.all i do know is that he has been to the building society to have her name removed from the mortgage

How old are her children?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

twins of 24 and boy of 17

Are there any other assets?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

none that i know of

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i don,t believe so

HI
Where is the 17 year old living?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

at home with his father and until last sunday so was the 24 year old son

but his stepfather has made him homeless now, hence my original question

If the property was owned by both of them as Beneficial Joint Tenants then I am afraid that the property passed to her partner automatically on her death.
Sadly it seems likely from what you have said that this is how they held it - but you can check by downloading a copy of the Title Register
http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/public/property-ownership
If there is a paragraph -in part B that says
"No disposition by a sole proprietor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the court".
Then the news is good - if not then I am afraid that there is nothing that can be done
Please ask if you need further details

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your advice Clare i have ordered a copy of land registry and i hope it does contain the info i need

IF they held as Tenants in Common (if those words ARE there) then your daughters half of the property is shared between the three children
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Clare i hope this is the case

also may i ask you another question about my grandson please ?

when his stepdad threw him out he told him that he cannot have his personal belongings until he gives him £225 which he says he is owed by Dan .£100 of which is rent ??? and the other £125 is for some clothes which were a xmas present which didn,t fit CAN HE DO THIS ??

His stepfather has not right to refuse him his personal belongings whether or not there is money owed,
If he cannot get in while his stepfather is out to recover his belongings then he will have to threaten to sue him for the value of them

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Clare

i have received a copyof the title deeds from the land registry and it doesn,t contain either of the phrases you quote above

copy attached below

B: Proprietorship Register
This register specifies the class of title and
identifies the owner. It contains any entries that
affect the right of disposal.
Title absolute
1 (08.03.2002) PROPRIETOR: xxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxxxP of 10
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2 (08.03.2002) The Transfer to the proprietor contains a covenant to
observe and perform the covenants referred to in the Charges Register
and of indemnity in respect thereof.
3 (25.10.2007) RESTRICTION: No disposition of the registered estate by
the proprietor of the registered estate is to be registered without a
written consent signed by the proprietor for the time being of the
Charge dated 22 October 2007 in favour of Webb Resolutions Limited
referred to in the Charges Register.

Then I am very sorry but it means that the property passes automatically to her partner and there is no claim that the children can make
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bad news for them then

but many thanks for all your help

sylvia

You are welcome - and I am sorry