Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

We have both agreed we want to be legally separated and do

Customer Question

We have both agreed we want to be legally separated and do not want to get divorced, because of religious reasons and our love for each other. He now lives on his own in a flat. He was verbally and emotionally abusive to me and a heavy drinker. I live in our mortgaged 3 bedroom house with our 2 children ages 9 and 15 years old. Can I buy him out of the house? he has said I can, but can I do this legally in UK. I have been paying the mortgage by myself since he left 7 months ago. He does not give me maintenance for the children and he has regular contact. We are both happy with this arrangement. The mortgage company have said I need to pay £40,000 to get his name of the deeds. my family will help me raise this money(hopefully). I will then give him

£10,000. I am 50 years old he is 43. there is 20 years left on the mortgage I know I can offered to pay the mortgage off ontime as the repayments will go down when I give the building society the requested £40,000. I am currently paying £900.00 per month.

Can you advise. 

How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The house is worth £240,000 and about £165,000 outstanding.

Why is he accepting only £10,000 for his share of the property?