Kasare, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
12488363

My son, who recently married, has been told by his wife of

Customer Question

My son, who recently married, has been told by his wife of 6 months that their marriage is over and that she no longer wants to be with him. They have a joint mortgage, on a house in the same village as my wife and myself and her parents, although they are not, as yet, aware of this latest development as she has kept it from them, thus far. His wife has a documented history of clinical depression as well as several other debilitating conditions like anorexia, for which she has previously been treated but she is currently off medication, which may be the cause of this current situation.
My son is intending, as of today, to return to live with us, for the short term at least, and I would be interested to know if there are any pitfalls you can see that we should be aware of, if he does so.
For example could he be penalised financially, accused of desertion etc.
I would rather not go to a solicitor at this stage as it might be considered precipitous of me to do so, as a reconciliation is always possible, especially if she can be persuaded to seek medical help, once her parents and others become aware of this latest development.

How long have they lived together and are there any children involved
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They have been together for three years and lived together for two years, the first 18 months in a house owned by his wife but for the last six months, since getting married, in a new house which they now own jointly. The house is worth in the region of £175K and they have an outstanding mortgage of about £140K.
There are no children involved

Where did the balance come from?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The difference, which formed a deposit on their new house was given to them by my wife and myself as a a wedding gift. Any profit from the sale of his wife's house, although I believe it would have been minimal, would have contributed to solicitors and estate agent fees in respect of the sale of her house

can his ex afford to pay the mortgage alone?