13262538

Hi. My divorce has just come through and my solicitor has just

Customer Question

Hi. My divorce has just come through and my solicitor has just written to my ex husband to transfer our council tenancy to my sole name. He is refusing until I allow contact with the children. I arranged mediation which he didn't arrive to. We have 4 children and he will only take 1 at a time which both I and the children refused. I have never stopped him having it's simply been that I said all go together and he says no.
We now need to take this to court. Will the courts agree that child contact need to be sorted first or will it be just the tenancy? Any help would be appreciated. I've paid out for mediation twice and do not want child arrangement court fees when all I want accomplished is his name off the tenancy. He had been left a year and I have paid full rent since
How old are the children and what contact have you offered?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The children are 9, 5, 3 and 2. I offered every other weekend Saturday. 10-6 and Sunday 10-4. The eldest did not want to stay overnight. Our 5 year old refuses to go all together. We tried 2 at a time for a few months before with all children crying as they didn't want to go and eventually 2 refusing.
Has he actually refused to accept the offer of contact
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes they claim he cannot accommodate 4. Though this is not to sleep
Where does he live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Literally around the corner with his man and his girlfriend.
HI
When did the children last see him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last September. They then went for one day over christmas
The two issues - the transfer of the tenancy and the issue of contact are entirely separate issues and no court will link them
You can apply to the court for the Transfer of the Tenancy and this will be granted.
If your ex wishes ti have contact with the children then he will have to apply to the Court for an order.
However at this point it would be sensible to offer contact once a week for three hours in a Sunday afternoon and make it plain that if he does not accept it then his only option is to apply to the court.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details