How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

hi,the house my wife and I live in with my fourteen year old

Customer Question

hi,the house my wife and I live in with my fourteen year old son is owned and paid for by meand was bought by me before I met her,like wise she also owns a house which is rented out and she pays the bills and mortgage,i want to get divorced but I think she is in the process of putting her house in her mums name,what would happen if this goes through before we get divorced,we have spoke about getting divorced and I am wondering if it goes through she will get half of my house and her hose will still be in her mums name ,is there something like a five year period before her house is safe
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you lived together and what is the equity in each of the properties?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have lived together for about sixteen years and about 180,000-190,000,i earn about 27,000 ayear and shw was made redundant last july with a 40,000 pound pay off and now earns about 800 pound a month boyh figures before tax

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much is each property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgages
Who will the child live with if you separate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

roughly about 220,000-230,000 pounds with about 30,000 owed on each my son would be with her

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What makes you think she is trying to transfer the property to her mother - and does her mother actually live there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her mum does live there but my wife receives a payment from the council to let her mum live there,i pay all the bills on my property and she pays hers,she was looking at the new deal the government are doing where you only have to put 5% down and she said once before she would get both houses

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Do you mean the her mother pays rent to live there?

Related Family Law Questions