UKfamsol
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
40487810

if you are thinking of fostering would you have to give up

if you are thinking of fostering would you have to give up your benefits esa as fostering is as and when
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am fine waiting they say u can claim incom support and job seekers but its a grey area as foster pay is an allowance not wage try to help please thank you

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please

Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

To get ESA you have to convince the DWP either that you are available for work, or that you are medically unfit to work.

When you foster children, the children will have come through a difficult time, so are likely to need a lot of time and attention from you, so it is unlikely that you will be free to take up employment. You will also need to be fit, as looking after foster kids is hard work and you will need lots of energy.

So - unless the local authority where you plan to foster tells you differently, I think it's very unlikely that you will be abel to claim ESA at the same time as beign a foster parent.

HOWEVER, you will receive a weekly allowance for each child that you foster, plus tax exemptions. You can find out more here:

https://www.gov.uk/foster-carers/help-with-the-cost-of-fostering

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...

UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Experience: Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello again

I've now found the information I was looking for earlier - which more or less comfirms what I said, about claiming benefits. This link refers to jobseekers allowance which has now been changed to ESA, but I think the rules will have remained the same:

https://www.gov.uk/foster-carers/claiming-benefits-while-fostering

Thanks and best wishes...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is a gray area it tells u to claim it doesn't affect your benifits and no one knows just what the rules are I think they are so desperate for careers they say anything I won't bother