UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My wife has just told me she wants a divorce and wants me to

Customer Question

My wife has just told me she wants a divorce and wants me to move out of our home today. She has taken all the house keys so if I leave the house for just a few minuets she will lock me out. I have nowhere I can go. I don't know what to do.

Will i get a response soon. Situation is critical.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

You have every legal right to live in the marital home until your divorce is finalised, so you may call the police if she locks you out.

You should not break into the house but you are allowed to enter again, so you could call a locksmith to get you in.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if my name is not on the deeds but there is a 2nd mortgage we took out together that is joint ? My wife lived here before I met her and had a mortgage, which is now almost cleared.

It doesn't matter that your name is not on the deeds, you still have a right to live in the marital home as advised until your divorce is finalised or until you pass away, whichever is earlier.

Hope this clarifies
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Now that she has moved out does she have a right to have a key to gain access at any time ?

Yes.

I hope this answers all your queries.