How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 204
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

Divorce, equity split, savings

Customer Question

Hi I'm in the process of getting divorced, I have made my soon to be ex an offer on our property 4-5 bed,Valued at approx £300k,(although marketed twice over last 8 mths and received highest offer of £280k twice) with mortgage o/s of £147k, joint debts of about £10k & removing my original deposit of £30k which I put down from my previous marriage.
We have been, married for 9, I have offered him £27k, £10k now & the balance over 12 months & I will pay the joint Outstanding debts (because I don't trust him to do so, if given additional funds). He has refused & asked for a E form to be submitted & the house revalued, (he is doing his only legal work) the house has been marketed over the last 6 months & highest offers up to £270k.
I have savings of £8k & don't want to share with him in my own bank account. I did save this for my tax bill, my ex doesn't know about this money as far as I am aware. Do I have to declare it or Can I pay my self employment tax in advance from this money or pay a solicitor In advance for take my case. My ex has stopped contributing towards the house where I live with our 8yr old son, my 15 year old daughter, 24yr old & 3 foster children. I can't get a mortgage to move as my fostering income is not seen as salary & if I downsize, I won't have the space to continue to foster or afford to pay a mortgage on a new property as this is my job and I need the space to continue working. He also has refused to pay any maintenance. I'm worrying to death about money & having to move, I know he is doing this to scare me into not divorcing him & this behaviour is a kick back to receiving the decree nisi date on Monday. How much will I realisticly have to give him. Again I know some people say don't sell the house until the youngest is 18, but I just want rid of him the easiest way possible.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you actually lived together and what other assets do you each have?
How much does a three bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy (yes i know but it is relevant!) and what income do you each have?